Diocese of Brentwood
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School
Hornchurch Road, Hornchurch, RM12 4TL
Tel: 01708 448430
“With Jesus and through the prayers of Mary, we enjoy learning and celebrate our lives together.”
St Mary’s Catholic Primary School are seeking to employ a qualified swimming instructor to start in February 2019, to teach and lead our thriving swimming provision.
Unqualified Teacher Scale 1-6
27 hours per week
- Swimming instructor qualified to a minimum level of grade 2 or above
- NPLQ or National Rescue award for Teachers and Coaches
- Disabled Swim Teacher Qualification would be a benefit
- First Aid at Work and Paediatric First Aid
- Flexible approach to swimming teaching
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to relate to children in a calm and assertive manner
- Ability to work with a team
- Good sense of humour
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Teach NSA approved swimming lessons to children ranging from non-swimmers to those able to swim to a high standard;
- Be able to risk assess lessons, events and the environment;
- Have experience of teaching in a school setting or teaching children aged 4-11 years;
- Have a clear understanding of safeguarding and child protection;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Supervise children;
- Be organised and able to prioritise.
The position involves:
- Teaching all children in weekly swimming lessons;
- Teaching individual lessons to children needing 1:1 support;
- Teaching both in and out of the swimming pool;
- Liaising with site staff regarding the facility;
- Working one Saturday per month for ‘Pool Parties’ (term time only);
- Lead extra-curricular clubs;
- Organise the annual Key Stage 2 Swimming Gala at Hornchurch Swimming Pool;
- Escorting school visits, where applicable.
Visits to our school are strongly encouraged, where you will feel for yourselves a warm welcome and be able to raise any questions regarding this exciting opportunity.
Please contact Mrs McLeavy on 01708 448430, in our friendly school office, to arrange a visit.
We look forward to meeting you!
Please apply online.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 7th November 2018
Interview date: Monday 12th November 2018
St Mary’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS Check is required for the successful candidate.
We aim to promote and ensure equality of opportunity and equal treatment for all.
Havering Schools are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as such expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The protection of our students from abuse is the responsibility of all staff within our school, superseding any other considerations.
Havering Schools comply with the Department for Education ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education’ (September 2018) guidance and all potential employees will undergo vigorous vetting checks to ensure their suitability.
Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974; the successful applicant will be expected to undertake a satisfactory disclosure. Having a criminal record will not necessarily debar you from obtaining a position with the Council